Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth. They are made out of an acrylic resin and normally porcelain or metal will be added for additional structural support.
If they are well looked after, you will have a very natural looking smile.They will also help strengthen muscles controlling your expressions and you will be free of any speech problems which were caused by missing teeth.
Types of Dentures
- Complete Dentures: Replace all of your teeth
- Immediate Dentures: Are placed all at once
- Over Dentures: Similar to complete dentures but not all teeth are extracted as they use one or more natural teeth for their support
- Partial Dentures: These are placed to fill the gaps between your teeth
Benefits of Dentures
- Dentures can help you to eat and speak comfortably and help to improve your confidence and self-esteem. Full dentures can also help to support your face, plumping out your cheeks and lips. Partial dentures help to ensure that your remaining teeth do not become crooked or tilted as they move to take the space of the missing tooth. This can affect the way you bite and cause damage to your remaining teeth.
- They can be fitted as soon as teeth are removed. However it is recommended that the initial one should be an acrylic one as this can then be relined to fit around any shrinkage of the gums which may happen in the months following extractions as the tooth sockets heal. It would then be possible to remake them in chrome once the gums have settled.